Friday, October 2, 2026

The Edgar Broughton Band

 

The Edgar Broughton Band

by Pete Clemons


Now Rob (Edgar) Broughton may not view me as an A star student but, when younger – and to a degree throughout my life - a lot of what he and others said made sense to me at an individual level. Especially when he talked about doing things your way and not being led. Or at least that was my interpretation of it.

Frontman Edgar Broughton was a fierce, uncompromising political agitator. Their raw, aggressive proto-punk style and tracks like the election-defying single "Up Yours!" aggressively challenged the social and political establishment.

The Edgar Broughton Band became notorious for chaotic free concerts, anti-establishment politics, and incidents of disorder that led several towns to ban their live shows.

Even today, as with a recent social media post I noticed from Rob, he still has an ability to make me smile 'I think the repetition of tales and anecdotes by some one of my age must be tolerated to some extent especially when a critic has nothing worth telling'.

The recent loss of Edgar's bass player and long time friend, Arthur Grant, had my mind wandering back to when the band made a leap of faith by relocating to London.


1969

If the word 'underground' still has any meaning on the music scene, then it is typified by Edgar Broughton a man who passionately believes in social change and that music is a revolutionary weapon.

On stage the Broughton band have a remarkable sinister quality, an example being what Edgar describes as their 'exorcism bit' where they get the audience to chant out their demons - the atmosphere this built up on the recent free concerts in Hyde Park and Parliament Hill Fields had to be felt to be believed.

In person Edgar turned out to be a dedicated, intelligent and obviously sensitive man who was not the least offended by the use of the word 'sinister' to describe his stage presence.

'It's not really an image we are trying to project, but it is probably what we are' he agreed. 'We do a lot of stuff that is dramatic and heavy'.

'If we do have this peculiar, unknown, sinister quality then I feel it helps us to achieve a genuine participation from audiences. This is our ambition to involve the whole of Britain in some type of positive action - get people to do things without saying what they should do. There is a tremendous void in everything at the moment, a lack of direction'.

'Music is for people, so it is people, and people are music. Obviously people identify with a trend in music which effects their day to day existence and in this way, hope to really get into them'.

'It's all subversive in a way. As a genuine underground band we are trying to subvert the old ideas and start a revolution'.

'This might sound a bit strong, but we feel strongly about the parent-child relationship. There is this parent hate of the pop figure and, partly by design and partly by accident, we seem to arouse it - even if it's only 'what can you see in a group of long haired violent people?'. The parents are worried and disturbed by it and that forces them to discuss it with their children'.

'Any sort of aggression you create between two parties has to turn into communication between them. People hate you so much they just have to ask why. It's not a question of age but of parent-child relationship because that is so important'.
'What we want is for people to look at themselves, and society, and decide if this is the way they really want to live. We feel we can help do this through our music reaching as many people as possible'.

The band came to London seven months ago after two years of what Edgar describes as 'total obscurity' in the Midlands - Warwick to be precise. Edgar had had a guitar from the age of eleven but has only been playing 'seriously' for the past three years.

'I suppose, originally, my taste was somewhere between R 'n' B and blues' he says. 'But there was something about R 'n' B I didn't like and a lot about the blues I didn't know. Now I listen to most of the underground things like Captain Beefheart and The Fugs, but also in classical music and jazz'.

He is most enthusiastic about his signing with EMI's Harvest label which releases the band's first album this week.

'I think Harvest will open things up' he said. 'We had so much freedom with the album, nobody telling us what music we should play. I had always had this feeling that the big corporations like EMI or the BBC, in the first place, oppose new things, but this certainly isn't true at EMI. Maybe things are changing'.

Footnote: and I do enjoy these anecdotes.....

Tony Cox memories - I think I've told this story before, but it bears repeating. Rockin' Chair Blues Band were good friends with the band. We were all at school with Rob, and later, Steve. When I decided I needed a new drum kit, we piled in my old Morris 1000 traveller and went down to the smoke to visit them. Steve kindly accompanied me to a music shop he used and thanks to him I got a bargain Premier kit. Back at the flat, Vic Unitt, who had joined The Pretty Things from the Broughtons, arrived and played us the newly released Pretty Things album "Parachute" which is still one of my favourite albums to this day.

Joyce Broughton their mum, drove Wandering John a few times when we needed a van to get to gigs.








No comments:

Post a Comment