Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Yesterday and today. No-man Coventry 1992, The Pineapple Thief now

 

Yesterday and Today. No-man Coventry 1992, The Pineapple Thief Now.

by Pete Clemons



Here is a short story that involves several of my favourite bands and artists from the last 30 years. I wouldn't normally disclose private conversations. And I haven't fully with this one. But I just felt that this needed to be out there as it shows real compassion and proves how we all change through life's strange journey. Its also a bit of a 'he said, she said' piece.

It began when I was reading, and really enjoying, a couple of recently written articles on Bruce Soord, and The Pineapple Thief's latest early career spanning box set, 'How Did We Find Our Way' had me researching the name of the author. Something I very rarely do.

I myself do a lot of writing, its just something I enjoy, and reading others always leaves me with that 'I wish I could write like that' feeling.

When I did discover the authors website I came across, within it, an overview of his career. I was staggered. It was a real 'well f**k me !!' moment.

This same guy, who I had genuinely enjoyed reading, was the very same guy who, during 1992 and under a completely different name, had slaughtered one of my favourite bands back then. No-man featuring Steven Wilson and Tim Bowness. He had been studying at nearby Warwick Uni and this had happened after no-man had appeared at the Tic Toc club in Coventry with past members of Japan. His review was printed in one of the national music papers of the time. NME perhaps?. I was completely thrown by what I had come across and the feelings it all brought back.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I challenged the author. Far from it. But I did email him to see, just out of curiosity, if he remembered that No-man gig. Incredibly I had a reply...........

'Hi Pete, Yes, I remember reviewing them, and what can I say? Cloth ears! I was pretty quick to jump to a bullish opinion back then, and didn't have a lot of patience in appreciating more complex music. I've really liked the stuff both of them have done since and I liked the sporadic output in recent years (Love You To Bits and Schoolyard Ghosts). Thanks for reminding me of my youthful follies anyway'...

Soon afterwards I excitedly messaged Tim Bowness with news of what I had uncovered. His reply was even more revealing as Tim had had actually dealt with this writer since.......

Tim: 'I remember the Coventry review well and the writer. He's been really supportive over the last few years and interviewed me for Prog magazine a few years back. It was very pleasant and I didn't bring up the 1992 gig. He was really nice (and open) during the interview I did with him. I enjoyed it'.........

This response had me writing back to the article author who responded: 'Oh god, now I just feel even more guilty. Oh well, youthful indiscretions and all that'...

Tim, as gracious as ever, and possibly sounding a little warning against that I might have been 'having a go' at the article writer (yes I admit to being a loyal fan) followed up with: 'as long as there's no bad feeling (on either side), all is fine'.

I assured Tim 'absolutely not. I actually heaped praise on the writer for his recently completed Pineapple Thief articles. Additionally, I have since read your Prog magazine interview with him. He is actually a really good writer and I have since become a bit of a fan'.

Where there was once an angry defiance is now a middle aged guy trying to do his best. And very good it is too. How could I get angry about the past. We have all been there. Google recent articles about the bands and artists hinted at above – I enjoyed them, see what you think.






2 comments:

  1. A superb article as always. Thanks Peter 🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter - my Mum would have loved you for that. Cheers

    ReplyDelete