Sunday, April 11, 2021

Tom Long and Tony Clarke's memories of Pinkerton's Assorted Colours

 Tom Long and Tony Clarke's memories of Pinkerton's Assorted Colours.

by Pete Clemons


Its always good to hear back on anything I write. It is especially good to hear from someone who personally knew, or had dealings with, the band or whoever I was writing about. So to receive feedback from Tom Long was especially pleasing.

It came after a recent thing I put together about record producer Tony Clarke. Tom was the guitar player for 1960s band, Pinkerton's Assorted Colours, who had hits in the 1960s with 'Mirror Mirror' and 'Magic Rockin' Horse'. And, of course, Tony produced those records. I also remember Tom from my days at GEC where Tom had much knowledge, and awareness, in the early days of home computers.

Tom mentioned: 'I just recently found the piece you wrote about Tony Clarke. Nice piece, he was a good and very talented guy. A few comments to add. The first and only time I recall seeing him playing was at the Rugby Granada with Buddy Britten and the Regents. He left for Decca Records quite early. I didn't know that 'Mirror Mirror' was his first single though I knew he hadn't been doing A&R long and was desperately keen to succeed'.

'Tony had done a wide range of odd jobs. He was proud of the fact that when they sent the Elvis masters over to the UK in mono, they created a second backing track to make them stereo and he played bass. He had met and worked with many greats even in that short time. He was competitive and very keen to compete with his main rival Gus Dudgeon'.

'And then I remember Tony playing us a number he wrote, called 'Five in the Morning'. I don't know if it ever got recorded though'.

'He most definitely added a lot of input to the 'Moodies'. Their records were full of his 'isms'. 'There you go man' was one of Tony's stock phrases, and, spoken on the record, exactly as he often did. I can also guarantee that there was a lot of laughter when Tony completed it with 'Face the trials of piles with smiles!'. Again, I know he would have said that, that was also his stamp'.

'But Tony had another side. He could be a bit sarcastic at times. That said full marks to Reg Calvert that he recognised Tony's abilities and gave him the chance'.

'The stock studio engineer, at Decca Records, at the start was Terry Johnson. He epitomised the old saying, What's the difference between God and a sound engineer? - God doesn't think he's a sound engineer. Terry commanded respect and was a bit of a prima dona. He also enjoyed a drink and I think it possibly led to his demise'.

'Recording engineer, Derek Varnals, was chief lackey cum probationary sound engineer. He did the odd 'B' side for us but he was good. He too, was keen to get on, but did it quietly and diligently. I am not at all surprised that Tony Clarke used him over Terry Johnson. Wise choice. Terry, if nothing else, would have taken twice the studio hours. That is, if he got it to sound as good anyway. Possibly not'.

'Tony Clarke's big nemesis was, of course, Dick Rowe who was still very staid and had learned nothing from having turned down The Beatles. Tony has mentioned that when they had finished 'Nights in White Satin' he was walking on air. He played it to Dick Rowe and Dick just didn't get it. I'm sure Tony was laughing his socks off inside. This was the turning point which got him away from the clutches of Dick Rowe. I'm sure he was on cloud 9'.

'I watched a YouTube video of the 'Moodies' at the Albert Hall. The orchestra were out of this world and their music really lends itself to that treatment, I'm sure the band seriously enjoyed that gig. The conductor looked extremely happy. I just wish Tony Clarke could have been there. Happy memories of Tony!'

My thanks to Tom Long for sharing his thoughts and memories.








2 comments:

  1. My goodness, I remember selling Sam Kemp his canvas casual shoes which he then coloured for when on stage. He bought them from Rugby Co-Op

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing some great memories Don

      Delete