Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Bruce Soord – Requests gig part 1, from the studio 23 May 2020

Bruce Soord – Requests gig part 1, from the studio 23 May 2020

by Pete Clemons



Yet again, and in the spirit of writing down our thoughts for our childrens childrens children to get some kind of insight into this once in a lifetime event, we call 'the lockdown', I am together a few words about what, for me, has been a highlight of it all............

Once more it involves the talents of songwriter Bruce Soord who, yet again, has very kindly invited us round to his place for a soiree. Well when I say 'round to his place' I didn't mean it literally. What I actually mean is that he is in his attic studio while I am sat on my sofa with my laptop on my knee watching this streamed in gig.

We are now several weeks into lockdown and, to be honest, it is getting a bit tedious now. And I think people are starting to fray at the edge a little. Having said that, by and large, people in general have shown tremendous resolve.

But if I am starting to get a bit fed up with it, imagine how a musician is feeling right now. At least I can see signs of some more shackles coming off soon Over this weekend the government has suggested that more restrictions will soon be lifted. But for the musician there is still no end in sight. And that, for me, is what is making these studio sessions all the more special.

On to the gig and, for this, Bruce has promised less chat and more music. And, by and large, this is what we get as he prepares his delay pedal and quickly gets into his stride by performing his first song 'Magnolia'.What followed was a beautiful version the title track from his 2014 album.

Bruce explained that he had prepared more for this gig and there would hopefully be none of the 'button issues' experienced during the last set. Also the set, which was being watched by his own parents and his Mother in law, had been put together by way of requests. Bruce also mentioned that these sessions had been a good opportunity to look back on his career. And that he had been surprised as to how many songs he had actually amassed.

With that Bruce turned his attention to his next song 'My Debt to You' from the Tightly Unwound album. This threw my mind back several years as I seem to remember that 'My Debt' was written while Bruce was ill from Bruce's and happened to be watching daytime TV from his sofa. Having said that, my mind could be playing tricks.

Next up was 'Alone at Sea' from the Your Wilderness album. This was edgy and a bit more of a rockier tune. And for it Bruce deployed his looper pedal and introduced an electric guitar. Asked, via the comments about the concept for Your Wilderness, Bruce kind of sighed and replied that the album cover, showing a child with his Father staring into the vastness, explained everything really.

Then it was back to something softer in the shape of 'Clapham'. Again this was another thoughtful moment for Bruce as he reflected on the songs creation after receiving some awful news while stood on Clapham Junction station platform.

Another remembrance tune followed. This time 'Cut the Flowers' from Bruce's second solo album All This Will be Yours. And again this was a moment of reflection as Bruce gave an insight as to how the song came about. Of course, Bruce mentioned, 'remembrance and loss never replaces anything'. But, as he continued 'it is all we have'. Raw emotions were suddenly rising to the surface.

The last two songs of this session came from the Dissolution album. And these were 'Shed a Light' and 'White Mist'. The first of these songs saw Bruce introduce an eight string guitar that had an enormous sound. The latter brought everything to the table including looper pedal, shaker, electric guitar and tons of improvisation. Between the two songs Bruce reminisced about the Dissolution tour and, in particular the champagne bottle incident. And a final flourish of electric guitar brought to a close yet another compelling set that was just an utter delight.

Although rehearsed to a point Bruce, at times, gave the impression that he didn't know which way the songs would actually go. And this added that unique charm to the event. Cut the Flowers, for example, was not an easy tune and Bruce's face, at times, said it all. He did grimace once or twice. But Bruce himself mentioned that 'he fell off the tracks a couple of times and that in itself makes it all a lot of fun'.

But don't just believe me about the standard of these gigs. An almost final word from a guy who knows his eggs when it comes to this kind of thing. He said 'Ive watched a lot of these streaming gigs, and I honestly think his are the best by quite a big margin. He puts his soul into them'.

High praise indeed. Did I mention earlier that I was getting fed up with lockdown?. Not a word of it, maybe I was born for lockdown as, all of a sudden, I am looking forward to part 2 of this.



1 comment:

  1. These Bruce Soord events are indeed the highlight of my lockdown experience too. Although online and "remote", they somehow feel intimate and personal, which gives them an intensity which is hard to describe. From my own solitary home space, I find myself drawn into an event shared by thousands across the globe. Fans just like me, absorbed and in rapture, experiencing a journey together that only a love of this very special kind of music can give you. The emotions are palpable and reflected in the comments of others sailing across the screen as the music washes over you.
    I dont know if this kind of emotional investment towards a musician (and his band) is found elsewhere, its possible of course. But even with his mistakes, omissions and reminders-to-himself, written in felt pen, the pleasure he gives and the adoration he receives makes being in lockdown feel betterand better.

    ReplyDelete