Monday, January 27, 2020

Pete Clemons Music Overview 2019

Pete Clemons Music Overview 2019
by Pete Clemons
Pete Clemons and Trev Teasdel at BBC Radio Coventry

2019 Overview

The Queen, in her Christmas message, acknowledged the "bumpy" path both the royal family and the nation has experienced this year. And she wasn't kidding as,in terms of health and well being, that bumpy path was also felt lower down the food chain as myself, and a number of friends and acquaintances, fell foul to ill health.

However, rather than dwell on it and feel sorry for yourself, it happened and you move on. But you cannot do that without help and support.

Fortunately I had plenty of that from family and friends, and I thank them very dearly. Additionally, and during a period of enforced rest, I found myself being comforted by music. No real surprise I guess as I listen to a lot of it. Watching the telly has never really been my thing.

That said these few words are not at all a best of, but more of an overview and a huge thank you, to those who, unbeknown to them, have contributed to the recovery I have made so far. And they really have !!.

Albums released, or new to me, during 2019 and made a real impact include those by No-man, Bruce Soord, Tim Bowness, The Specials, Freedom to Glide, Voodoo Kings, Matt Cattell, Stylusboy, The Trees and a magnificent compilation by The Flys. Each album, all very different and eclectic, have had seperate blogs written for most of them. But all of them were very distinctive and memorable in their own way. And of course, very special to those who created them.

On the live front I saw bands and artists as diverse as Stan Webb's Chicken Shack, Georgie Fame, The Strawbs, Tears for Fears, Tim Bowness, The Stray Cats and Mott the Hoople.

One gig I will always remember though is the one by The Specials at Coventry Cathedral. It was my first night out after my own faux pa and that period of rest. The Specials could quite easily of hired and sold out The Ricoh Arena for one night only. Instead they decided to create a series of four very unique evenings for the people of Coventry. And I am sure those dates will go down in folklore for a long time to come.

The night I went saw the Voodoo Kings supporting. And this three piece more than played their part in making the whole event so memorable. By the end of the evening it was raining and I was feeling a bit done in. But it had been well worth it.

That night was quickly followed, coincidently, with a gig by former Special Roddy 'Radiation' Byers. In fact I saw Roddy play several times during 2019. Not many musicians can claim that they influenced a generation and created a part of history. But Roddy can. His contribution to the sound of 2 Tone movement was immense by providing several timeless, and original, classics.

During my period of house arrest I found myself listening to a lot of old music. I immersed myself in a lot of records from the 50s/60s and 70s. And when I hit the 70s this including the music of Coventry band Indian Summer.

Confession time. Many years ago, at least a quarter century ago, Indian Summer organ player, Bob Jackson, let me have a cassette tape of some unreleased material. But I was on strict instructions to keep quiet about it. That music found itself onto an authorised release of demo's etc a few years ago.

One of the tunes on that tape 'For Everyman' simply floored me. It was one of the finest songs I have ever heard. A wonderful lyric, soaring harmonies and a glassy guitar sound that was just so infectious. It was one of those songs that doesnt last long enough. It has to be played at least twice in succession.

Bob Jackson wrote the song when he was around 19 or 20. But I recently asked Indian Summer guitarist, Colin Williams, what he remembered about 'For Everyman'. 'Everyman was written before we recorded the album. The choice of numbers to go on the album was down to the guys at RCA and the producer. We had no say at all or at least very little on which individual numbers went on the album. Bit like the aborted single when 'they' wanted us to record 'Ride a Pony', one of Free's numbers. We already had our number but they were not really interested. 'Walking on Water'. Just one of many reasons why I got out of the business'. - it all left me bemused and wondering just what was the record company had been thinking of at that time. All great songs have their day. And, who knows, maybe this is the year for 'Everyman'. 


Indian Summer with Everyman - courtesy of Bob Jackson


Seeing three of your favourite band live, one after the other, does not happen very often. But that's exactly what happened during October when firstly Soft Machine, then Caravan and finally The Pineapple Thief played in Sheffield.

My bucket list does not contain much. But it did have in it a gig at the Cavern Club in Liverpool featuring artists from the Merseybeat era. And that one was well and truly ticked off when I went there in September to see The Merseybeats and Beryl Marsden. Blown away doesn't come close. It really was a tremendous evening.

During the year I also attended some incredibly informative talks, arranged and hosted by Pete Chambers, at the Coventry Music Museum. So thanks to him and the volunteers there. And, of course, those thanks extend to all at the 2 tone village.

Of course there was also sadness during 2019. And this ranged from the passing of Ginger Baker, Neil Innes, Coventry legend Doc Mustard to the loss of music venue The Assembly – now recently reopened, and the Universal Music fire,

All in all 2019 was another tremendously memorable year, for one reason or another, and no doubt I missed something or someone. Apologies if i have.. I will try not to let my health event define me. But, at the same time, I certainly cannot ignore it.. I must respect those who went the extra mile on my behalf.


No comments:

Post a Comment