Sunday, June 16, 2019

Tim Bowness – Flowers at the Scene


Tim Bowness – Flowers at the Scene

by Pete Clemons




I have heard it mentioned many times before that rock and roll is a young man’s game. Bucking that trend right now is singer songwriter Tim Bowness. Since turning 50, Tim has produced a series of albums under his own name that has given him an identity and a recognition of his own. Age it seems, is no longer a barrier.

For me however, whatever Tim Bowness was going release as a follow up to the incredible ‘Lost in the Ghostlight’, was going to be received with a very critical ear. Not daring to compare the two musically, but in my mind, this was a similar moment to how I remember Pink Floyd following up their master piece ‘Dark Side of the Wall’.

Of course, ‘Wish you were Here’ was rightfully applauded as the great album that it has since become. But not before it had run the gauntlet of being the difficult follow up to its legendary predecessor.

And I admit to maybe not wanting to enjoy Tim’s latest release ‘Flowers at the Scene’ because it just happened to be the follow up to one of my favourite albums of the last decade or so. And after one play I simply dismissed it.

After realising I was being totally unreasonable, I went back to the album. And, after a few tracks in, I found myself drawn in, by, of all things, a lyric that went ‘Spaghetti on the floor’. It did make me smile and set visions off in my mind.

The line introduces you to the heartbreakingly beautiful tune titled ‘Not Married Anymore’. It really got to me, and I was in. And, I can honestly say, that I cannot remember hearing the word ‘spaghetti’ being used in a lyric before.

Unlike Tim’s other releases there does not appear to be an overriding theme. It is a collection of situational and very moving songs. Some of the songs have been revived into life from the past while some are new to this project. But all the songs are ‘thinkers’ in as much that, typical of Tim’s writing, they evoke a keen sense of sadness and regret. But at the same time, recognising that life also moves forward.

Apart from fully detailed lyrics, the sleeve notes are sparse. They kind of hide the fact that there is a stellar cast of musicians contributing to this album. That said, Tim’s unique delivery of song is still very evident.

Interestingly though, the production has been credited to No-man. This appears to mean that Steven Wilson has had major involvement in the album. As an aside, and on a tweet released earlier in the year, Steven mentions that the pair (he and Tim) are ‘gradually edging towards releasing some new no-man music at some time in the not too distant future’. Couple that with an interview from 2018 where Tim mentions that, while making ‘Flowers’, a recording session did take place, but it is unlike anything they have released previously – does make for a tantalising prospect.

Until then though, I am rightfully giving ‘Flowers at the Scene’ the kind of respect that this wonderful album fully deserves.






No comments:

Post a Comment